Memory Care in Arlington Heights, IL
Positive, purposeful Alzheimer’s and dementia care.
If you have a loved one who is living with memory loss, you may be searching for “dementia care near me.” You may be wondering what type of care or provider will best serve your loved one’s needs. A senior living community? A nursing home? A retirement community? If your search has brought you to The Highlands Assisted Living Memory Support at The Moorings of Arlington Heights, you’ve come to the right place.
Everyone deserves the opportunity for friendship, to be treated with dignity, and to experience joy. Especially older adults with Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia. And that’s exactly why we’re here.
The Highlands Memory Care Assisted Living neighborhood is designed to support older adults with memory impairment who need a little assistance to enjoy life to the fullest. Our goal is to make daily life easier and safer. Our programming focuses on each resident’s personal interests and life experiences while promoting cognitive and physical stimulation.
Compassionate and specially trained care staff
The Highlands’ professional Memory Care staff is ready to provide a comprehensive array of services and an individualized person-centered service care plan designed to meet each resident’s needs and preferences.
Our staff includes:
- Medication administration
- Continuous assurance of resident well-being through wellness measures, fall prevention, and condition monitoring
- Individualized support, guidance, and assistance provided 24 hours each day to ensure the fulfillment of physical, social, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual needs
- Care Partners complete ongoing specialized training in dementia care best practices from Rush University and in-house training
Together, our team provides the services and support to help residents live well and live happily, including:
- Specialized activities to engage residents with memory loss
- Assistance with dining, bathing, dressing, toileting, and ambulation
- Access to round-the-clock health and medical services
- Medication administration
Meaningful programming matters.
As part of our person-centered dementia care, we offer a full calendar of programs that help residents improve their socialization and quality of life. In addition, we use It’s Never 2 Late (iN2L), a technology system that adapts activities to each resident’s abilities, helps increase cognitive stimulation, and enhances family involvement. Songs by Heart is a Memory Care music therapy program that lets residents and professional singers make music together. This popular program taps into memories and helps residents feel successful.
Dining that tastes like home
Our open kitchen and dining room create a calming environment with minimal noise, encouraging choice and interaction. Residents enjoy three chef-prepared meals each day and can choose to sit at a table or the counter. Meals are served family-style, and we provide an early-bird breakfast option as well as healthy snacks throughout the day.
Memory loss can affect appetite and even the ability to eat. To assure residents get the nutrition they need and delicious food they’ll love, we offer a variety of options that keep dining interesting and enjoyable:
- Fresh bite program for those individuals that may need finger food options
- Sample plated entrées enabling residents to choose their option
- Contrasting colors to assist residents with distinguishing between plate, table, and food
- Vibrantly colored dishes that encourage independence and caloric intake
With a full-time registered dietician on our culinary team, meals are designed to deliver the nutrients residents need with the quality ingredients and delicious flavors they deserve.
Apartment suites combine safety and comfort
At The Highlands, Memory Care residents live with dignity and autonomy in beautifully appointed apartment suites that offer all the comforts of home:
- Spacious bedroom with en suite bathroom that combines safety and comfort
- Walk-in showers with controlled water feature, grab bars, infrared lighting, and heating
- Individually controlled heat and air conditioning to adjust to the resident’s personal preference
- 43” flat-screen television mounted with a full selection of cable stations
- Built-in night lights and overhead lighting
- Closet with built-in organizers
- Built-in window seat with comfy cushions
Designed for Living Well and Living Safe
Our Arlington Heights Memory Care neighborhood is purposefully designed to promote independence and to help residents maintain a meaningful, active lifestyle. A continuous hallway welcomes residents to safely move around with the frustration or confusion of a dead end. While The Highlands is safe and secure, the neighborhood is thoughtfully planned for those living with memory loss with features that enhance their quality of life:
- Activity Room – This spacious, double-height activity room hosts resident-driven programming seven days a week, morning through evening. Residents and family members are encouraged to participate together in purpose-driven activities.
- Living Room – The living room features a double-sided fireplace and comfortable seating to relax, reminisce, and enjoy friends and family.
- Dining Room – Open dining room featuring a kitchen island for reminiscing and baking activities.
- Quiet Room – Our quiet room offers a relaxing space to unwind and decompress.
- Outdoor Living Space – The artfully landscaped, enclosed outdoor living space features raised and accessible flower garden beds. A shaded patio area offers comfortable seating and built-in overhead fans.
Services and amenities include
- Three chef-prepared, nutritious meals each day
- Beautiful secure outdoor terrace with raised gardens
- Home maintenance
- Grounds maintenance
- 24-hour security emergency call systems
- Off-campus outings foster a connection with the local community
- Weekly worship services
- Daily trash pickup
- Daily bed making
A Specially Designed Rehabilitation Program for the Memory-Impaired
The Moorings Health Care Center team is pleased to offer a new program that meets a critical need for patients with cognitive impairment due to dementia. Our brand-new Memory Rehabilitation program offers physical, occupational, and speech therapies for older adults and inpatient Rehabilitation and outpatient programs, providing new opportunities for an enhanced and enriched quality of life.
From the moment a patient arrives, they are guided by a dedicated team that provides support and communication with family members every step of the way, making plan adjustments if and when they’re needed. Our goal is to help patients regain functional abilities that enable them to be safer once they return home.
Our Memory Rehabilitation Program includes:
- Access to specially trained team members, who receive training from Rush University Medical Center
- Advanced technologies that make Rehabilitation safer and easier to navigate
- Innovative physical therapy equipment and training protocols
- A MemoryFare menu featuring “fresh bites” that don’t require cutlery
- A secure and comfortable environment
- A neighborhood of private suites for those with dementia
To learn more about our Memory Rehabilitation program, check out our guide.
How does Memory Care differ from Assisted Living?
Memory Care is for people who are cognitively challenged, whether from Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia and require a higher level of care and security and more specialized programs. Assisted Living is for those who simply need help with activities of daily living.
What’s the difference between Alzheimer’s disease and dementia?
Dementia refers to the loss of cognitive functions (reasoning, the ability to remember, etc.) severe enough to interfere with a person’s daily functioning. This group of symptoms may accompany certain diseases or conditions. Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia. It’s a progressive, degenerative disease of the brain, characterized by loss of function and death of nerve cells in several brain areas. This leads to the initial loss of recent memories and new learning, and eventually old memories.
What can I expect from the staff?
Our fully trained staff at our Memory Care facility near Chicago gets to know your loved one –their history, likes and dislikes, and preferred schedule. This nurturing relationship often improves interactions, helps reduce behavior issues, and can result in a reduction in medication needs.