When Is It Time for Assisted Living?
Noticing changes in your or a loved one’s daily routines and behaviors can catch you quite off guard. While it’s normal to experience these changes throughout the aging process, they are often overlooked or ignored until something drastic takes place, like a fall or severe injury.
Don’t let this happen to you or a family member. Look out for the signs that it’s time to move to an assisted living community or receive additional senior care. Asking for help may not be easy for fear of losing independence or moving away from home, but the benefits of assisted living far outweigh the risks of living alone.
At The Highlands at The Moorings of Arlington Heights, quality of life and peace of mind are greatly improved for older adults and their families. Learn the details of our assisted living lifestyle and the signs assisted living is needed, below.
What is assisted living?
Assisted living at The Moorings provides residents with the personalized care they need with the encouragement to remain as independent as possible. Highly trained staff members assist with activities of daily living (ADLs) like dressing, bathing, using the restroom, dining, and grooming – 24/7 – and all from the comfort of the resident’s well-appointed and accessible assisted living apartment.
One major differentiator about our assisted living community is that seniors have the ability to move in directly from their homes, the hospital, or a rehabilitation center without having to pay an upfront entrance fee. We welcome direct admissions – no transition from independent living required.
Residents in assisted living also benefit from every service and amenity offered in our Life Plan Community. Here, you’ll find:
- A calendar packed with engaging programs inside and outside the community, centered around wellness. Some resident-favorite activities include movie marathons, wine and cheese socials, fitness classes, outings, educational classes, devotions, Bible studies, and worship services.
- Priority access to a complete continuum of high-quality on-site healthcare, if additional care is ever needed.
- Table service dining, with three delicious meals per day.
- Libraries with game tables and computers.
- Outdoor terrace overlooking a lake with swans and ducks.
- Resident Fellowship Hall with chapel, fitness center, salon and spa, and wellness clinic.
- Scheduled transportation to entertainment venues, shopping and restaurants.
- Maintenance and housekeeping.
- Expanded basic cable, phone service and all utilities included.
- Nurses available 24/7 with safety and wellness checks throughout the day.
- Geriatric-certified medical director and social worker on staff.
To see the complete list of assisted living services and amenities, download our brochure.
Just because you or a loved one needs additional support doesn’t mean each day can’t be lived to the fullest. At The Moorings assisted living, residents feel secure knowing that when they need care, a friendly face will always be there to help them.
Signs you or an aging parent may benefit from assisted living
Now that you’ve gotten a better understanding of our assisted living lifestyle, look out for the following physical, behavioral, and cognitive warning signs that a move to an assisted living community could be the next best step for a well-lived future:
- Trouble getting out of a chair/sofa or bed
- Difficulty bathing or using the restroom
- Low energy
- Significant weight loss or gain
- Poor hygiene
- Increased difficulty managing pre-existing medical conditions
- Short temper or increased agitation
- Slurring of words
- Poor balance
- Noticeable injuries, like cuts and bruises
- General forgetfulness
- Confusion or loss of train of thought
- Increased paranoia and anxiety
What are the next steps?
Have you determined that it’s time for assisted living? You should praise yourself for taking action to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.
So what are the next steps you should take? First, research assisted living options. Make sure you have a good idea of what’s provided to residents by scheduling a personal tour or speaking with leadership. If you’re searching for a family member, it’s important to then have a productive conversation with them about their daily challenges without pressuring them into making any immediate decisions. Simply reiterate the benefits that come with assisted living and how their independence and free spirit won’t be lost.
You can even attend senior living community events to help guide the decision-making process along. Contact us at 847-956-4040 to find out when our next event will be. Our goal is to make the moving process as seamless as possible while growing personal relationships and trust.
Maintain independence at The Moorings of Arlington Heights
At The Moorings in Arlington Heights, IL, seniors and their families can rest easy knowing there is a supportive assisted living solution that makes each day fulfilling. Find the care you or a loved one needs in a relaxing setting, with adaptable opportunities at every turn. Learn more about our assisted living lifestyle today, along with additional on-site health services.