Dining Out at The Moorings of Arlington Heights
At The Moorings of Arlington Heights, our professionally trained chefs, kitchen staff, and servers offer you an exceptional dining experience designed around your tastes. From familiar down-home favorites to our healthy dining alternatives, everything we serve is truly extraordinary.
We offer a beautiful indoor dining room and have seasonal barbeques on an outdoor dining patio. Whether you want to dine at The Moorings or venture out to charming Arlington Heights, you’re always free to dine wherever you wish. Plus, we also offer several food demonstrations throughout the year presented by our in-house chef:
10 Healthy Eating Tips for Older Adults
While we always appreciate seeing our residents in our dining room, we know it’s also important to get proper nutrition from the comfort of your own villa or apartment. Here are some healthy eating tips to inspire your meals:
- Make eating a social event. Socializing over food instills a sense of relaxation, which improves digestion and emotional health.
- An apple a day can still keep the doctor away. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and focus on getting a variety of color-rich produce. Enjoy berries, leafy greens, broccoli, carrots, squash, and more.
- Go for ‘good fat’ over ‘no fat.’ Don’t cut fat from your diet. Focus on healthy fats – like avocado, nuts, olive oil, and yogurt.
- Protein packs a punch. When you eat high-quality protein, you boost your resistance to stress, anxiety, and depression. Just stay away from too much processed meat, like hot dogs and salami.
- Carbs are not the enemy. Be smart about which carbs you choose. Whole grains over processed white flour and sugar wins every time.
- Say cheese! Bone health as you age is extremely important. Make sure to include a variety of calcium-rich foods in your diet, such as milk, yogurt, cheese, almonds, kale, broccoli, and more.
- Keep the body moving. We’re talking fiber. Women over 50 should eat at least 21 grams of fiber per day for proper digestion and to help maintain weight.
- Bring on the flavor! It’s not uncommon for your senses of smell and taste to change as you age. Therefore, experiment with different flavors, herbs, and spices.
- Variety is the spice of life. To stay your healthiest, enjoy nutrient-dense foods from all the food groups: vegetables, fruits, grains, protein, dairy, and oils. And don’t forget to enjoy a treat now and then, too!
- Plan, plan, plan. It’s easiest to eat healthily and keep your body healthy when you plan ahead. Have meals prepared and planned for you by professional nutritionists and chefs, like those at The Moorings.
Get a Taste of The Moorings with Our Dining Guide
When you download our free guide to the dining experience at The Moorings, you’ll get a peek at our mouth-watering menus and more healthy eating tips.