Celebrating Senior Dads on Father’s Day
Some families have traditions on this day; others love variety from year to year. No matter what you do to celebrate Father’s Day, the most important aspects for most are to honor your dad and spend quality time with him.
“As you plan for your dad or grandpa this Father’s Day, consider any special needs he may have,” says Maryl Petrie, Director of Sales and Marketing at Westminster Place. “Along with his preferences, consider accessibility, mobility, and any special care he may need throughout the day.”
Here are some innovative ways to connect with your father this year.
Bring Dad on a Special Outing
- Visit a Local Museum: Whether your dad is a history buff or an art enthusiast, Father’s Day gives you a fabulous reason to explore a museum or art exhibit.
- Spend Time in Nature: Getting outside is a great mood booster, and there are many outdoor activities to choose from. You could hike a beautiful trail, go fishing, plan a picnic, or even fly a kite with the grandkids.
- Visit a Favorite Restaurant: You could share a meal you enjoy with Dad, go somewhere they love, or check out a popular restaurant you’ve been meaning to visit.
- Go See a Show: Whether it be a movie, a car show, a play, or a ball game, some entertainment could really make your dad’s day!
Honor Your Dad on His Home Turf
- Organize a Meal: A fun way to get everyone involved in a Father’s Day celebration is to host a potluck. Create a sign-up list, have everyone make one of Dad’s favorites, and fill your plates with a variety of delicious food. You could also cater a meal or have a barbeque.
- Plan a Fun Project: Is your dad a handy guy who likes a challenge? Maybe suggest a fun group project like building a LEGO set or attending an arts or crafts class. If your dad lives in a senior living community, they may even offer something you could do alongside him.
- Reminisce: More than anything, Father’s Day is about showing gratitude to your dad. A powerful way to do this is to recall the ways he’s been a positive influence for you. Whether you flip through a photo book or just tell each other stories from the past, this is a great way to connect on this special day.
- Play Games: Lawn games, card games, board games, or word games can be fun ways to involve family members from different generations. Engaging in friendly competition can also keep your dad’s mind sharp.
Unique Gift Ideas for Senior Dads
- Set Up a Digital Photo Frame: With this gift, you can share new photos of kids and grandkids from afar.
- Make a Homemade Craft: Handmade gifts from grandkids are especially cherished. Check out some Father’s Day projects on Pinterest.
- Bake Him a Treat: Dust off a famous family recipe for a surprise treat to show your dad you love him.
A Memorable Day at Westminster Place
Westminster Place is a Life Plan Community in Evanston, Illinois. Our community is situated on a 40-acre campus that features walking paths, gardens and fountains to enjoy with your loved one. Our residents also have access to private dining rooms for special occasions like Father’s Day and guest suites for overnight stays. Contact us today for more information.